Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shopping


Lent is the season of sacrifice. In grade school, I would give up chocolate or soda (or something of the sort) for 40 days. As a result, when my 40 days were up, it became a habit to not consume what I had given up. As the years went by, those types of sacrifices didn't feel so "sacrifice-y" and I wanted to change that. My thoughts were, if I wanted to stop drinking soda, I didn't need Lent to come around and tell me to do so. Giving it a little extra thought, I came up with something that would be really hard to live without and would probably go back to after Lent. Retail shopping. It seems hilarious at first, but I just love that feeling after making a "great purchase."

It isn't the feeling of wanting to wear something new and it isn't the feeling of pulling out that credit card and signing that receipt. I admit that I shop a lot, but I am also a very picky shopper.

When I go shopping, I ask myself, "Is it comfortable?" I don't think about soft soles in my shoes, or being able to sit in a long car ride in those tight jeans. I ask myself if I feel comfortable in my own skin wearing what I will purchase. Will I know what undergarments (if applicable) will be worn to maintain that comfortable feeling (purposely showing or not showing)? Will I feel comfortable enough to walk down the street in a confident manner?

In the end, I realized that it's putting different pieces together to create this unique image of myself is what I love. The concept of personal style just fascinates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment